Waffle Grilled Cheese
A lunchtime favorite, without the processed flours.
This gluten-free, grain-free grilled cheese will take you right back to childhood. Tomato Basil Swapples deliver all the crisp of real bread, without any flours at all. Make it classic, paleo, or vegan by stuffing it with your favorite cheese!
- 1 Tomato Basil Swapple
- 1 handful of fresh spinach (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 slices of your favorite cheese (vegan or non-vegan)
- 1 Tablespoon of oil, butter, or vegan butter
- Toast your Tomato Basil Swapple until lightly browned on the surface. Set aside, and allow to cool to room temperature before proceeding.
- While your Swapple is cooling, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add a little bit of oil, your handful of spinach, and a pinch of salt. Stir to saute for 2 minutes until the spinach is wilted but still a bright green color. Remove the pan from the heat, and set aside.
- Once your Swapple is cool, carefully slice in half using a sharp serrated knife. (NOTE: it's totally cool if it splits - that just creates more room for the cheese to ooze out - yum!)
- Place one slice of cheese on one half of the cut side of the Swapple, and another slice of cheese on the other half.
- Place the sauteed spinach on top of one of the slices of cheese. Close the halves together to make a sandwich.
- Heat your oil, butter, or vegan butter in your skillet over medium heat.
- Toast the Swapple on one side for 1 minute, or until crisped and browned.
- Using a spatula, carefully flip the sandwich and repeat to crisp the other side for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, slice in half, or dive right in! Caution: this will be HOT HOT HOT!